In Daily schedule, Learning, Recommendations on April 12, 2013 at 4:32 pm
Today marks the first day my Beautiful Baby Girl rolled over for the first time. My phone vibrated and it was the message saying it just happened and to turn on the camera (Foscam). I called home right away and logged in to the camera to see my big girl rolling over and she of course wouldn’t do an encore.
This is where being away from your kids sucks the big one!
But as I’m crying and smiling in pride, I have to remind myself that this could have just as easily happened when I was at Publix or in the bathroom! Just because I am at work, it doesn’t mean I will miss out. This is the first time of course, and I’m beating myself up a little for not seeing it firsthand, but truly the second, third, fourth, etc., are all just as exciting. Back to being proud mummy that my baby is growing up and achieving such great things
So chin up working mums!
In Daily schedule, Learning, Recommendations on April 8, 2013 at 1:12 pm
Heading back to work after Maternity Leave is, well, let’s just say difficult. I have other words but we’ll leave it at that for now.
What I’ve come to realize is that my children will never go without if I have something to do with it. They will always have all the love they’ll ever need (and some extra they didn’t) so just because I have to leave every morning doesn’t mean they are missing out. Our days and nights are jam packed with FUN. We have a very strict play schedule when mummy gets home and we make the most of the time we have together.
So I tell myself daily, give yourself a break!
I don’t always listen but I do say it every day. My Son is so excited when we get to spend the whole weekend together because he knows that means maximum fun. He’s going to be 3 in July and he is just the best company. My little girl kicks her legs, shakes her arms and can barely catch her breath when she sees me walk through the door!
Two things I live by:
- I am diligent about using my phone to take pictures and make “movies” so I can watch them while I’m away. It truly helps to think about them and what we were doing when we took those pictures. And reminds me how much fun we will have when I get home.
- I take some time each day to think of something fun, and attainable, that we can do during the week. For example, last week, we all needed the sheets changed on our beds so it was the “fun” task we took on. We have never had that much fun doing housework, ever! Evan was laughing so hard at one point that we made him take a potty break because we thought he might pee his pants. This week will be painting our hand prints on some canvas art we’re giving out to family members, fun and messy!
No matter what you do, you can never spend as much time as you want with your kids, there’s never a perfect solution. BUT, the name of the game is to make the most of the time you’re blessed with their presence. Time goes by way to fast and you have to soak up every last precious minute!
In Recommendations on February 26, 2013 at 3:38 pm
It’s been brought to my attention that referrals are really the only true way to spread the word. I know I might be a little late joining the game here but it is proving itself over and over again. So here are some suggestions that I’ve compiled from friends asking advice and asking how we handled things in our family:
- Having help around the house to clean isn’t something to be ashamed of, nor is it for the rich and famous. Hire some help in any increment that you can afford so that you can spend more time with your precious family.
- Putting a camera in your house to take a peek on what’s happening is not only a great idea but also a huge relief when you’re away from the house as much as I am. A camera that I’m using and am very happy with is Foscam. It has an app available for purchase that I use on the iPad at home but it’s also accessible via a URL at no cost.
- Childcare is the most important expense in my opinion so do what makes you feel most comfortable. If that’s in home care, do it. If it’s a daycare center, do it. Do whatever it takes to make you feel at ease while you’re away from the house.
- A carpet cleaner is your best friend when potty training, more on this later!
- And one more for today courtesy of my husband… we don’t always have to do big elaborate things on the weekends to make them special, a simple trip to the park is transformed when it’s with Mummy and Daddy. This is a hard one for me because I like to go to special places like Glazer Children’s Museum or Fantasy of Flight when I’m home with my little ones but sometimes it’s not as easy to do or affordable as our family grows. Thank you Ted for reminding me that I am the special part of the fun times our babies have, not the event itself.
So that’s it for now… more as they come up so stay tuned!